11/17/2004

Dad's company just had a huge layoff

Here's a snippet from his email: I am a little bummed though. They had a big lay off here Monday, about 30% of the workforce. It's like walking around in a funeral parlor here. After 5 PM it's like being in a grave yard after midnight. I survived but I just heard another rumor about 76 more people in my division being laid off December the 6th. Oh well, I am eligible to retire by mid January and I planned on spending all of the Christmas holidays getting some internet business going. I have a lot of ideas and leads to things. DO NOT TELL YOUR MOTHER THAT YET. She'll just go into a funk and wind up with headaches until then. dady This has me almost crying in my cubical. Goddamit! Why is it always so fucking complicated. Where is the simplicity of my youth? If there isn't a problem in one place it's in another. I need some sort of rock to hold on to. something that gives me confidence it will be o.k. When do I get that. I am tired of being afraid. Fear kills it numbs and it destroys. it sucks the light and the joy out of the world. I hate it. I spit at it. I'm not sure what to do. I want to be supportive but the internet is a difficult place to make money. The dot coms proved that. Yes there are people out there making money with internet businesses but I think most of them are basically in a new multi level marketing scheme. Even the porn sites are MLM. He has never been good at that it's just not in our nature. Dammit they just bought a house, how are they going to be able to make the payments if something like this happens? I'm the one that's going to go into a fucking funk! I'm wracking my brains trying to figure out some way I could help them if they have a problem but we've got three loans to pay for this house plus we drained our savings. We are just trying to dig ourselves out of a hole. He's had so many medical problems maybe he can get disability. With everything he's been going through he needs to retire, he's falling apart. Back problems, arthritis, heart problems and more. leakage today sucks.

No comments: