12/27/2004

Beer and BeBop

I've got like two more posts half written in emails but they're on another machine so I'll just drop this one in and ship those off to my email post address once I get them finished. I loved Radical Edward. I have the biggest crush on her. I want to just grab her and squeeze her and give her a big Dutch rub. She's so fucking great. She's the cutest damned cyber hacker creation I've ever seen and funny as hell. I've always been fond of the eccentric semi loner type and she's as eccentric as hell. If you can't tell I'm watching Cowboy Bebop, H got me the 3 disk set for Christmas. I'm so damned happy I could wet myself. Got the movie as well which is like episode 24 1/2 or something. I can't remember but it happens between episodes 24 and 25 or 24 and 24. Gotta look it up again before I get that far watching the series. I think Bebop is the best serial I've ever watched. Better than Star Trek, Better than Buffy which impressed the crap out of me once it got decent (you have to get past the first series, then it gets damned good.) Everything is perfect in Bebop. The music is fantastic, amazing. Yoko kano's best work. Everything really comes together in this series. Writing, directing, music, animation. All A+ #1 top notch work. Thoroughly impressive. I want the 6 disk set. I love the presentation with all the little DVDs that look like old records. It's a stupid thing to make me want to buy a whole DVD set for I know which is why it won't be any time soon but I'll do it some day. Then maybe you'll be the lucky one to get my 3 disk as a handoff, there's also all the interviews and other extras. My guess is that'll be something close after I win the lottery. Fancy electric car, Payoff the house, bank account earning fat interest and then, Cowboy Bebop. I buy the 6 disk set, and/or maybe the 7 disk set (I have to find out if it's got the cool album looking dvds.) Only problem with the movie is that it's really not all that great. It's good to watch and all but it really doesn't live up to the series. I'm quite glad I had someone to tell me where it fell into the timeline or I would have rented it first and not been really impressed with it. It's not nearly as good as Akira, Ghost in the shell or Spirited Away. But the serial. The Cowboy Bebop series is fantastic. It's great. One thing about the movie is it really proved a point to me. Proved that some times it really is about timing. The bebop movie has all the same folks as the series, same writer/director, Same music director, same animators, but it's not quite there. You can tell the magic is gone. It was filmed something like 2 1/2 or 1 1/2 years after the series ended, they all got together and made the movie and set it just before the end of the series (when you get to the last couple of episodes you'll understand why.) There's nothing actually bad about the movie but it's sort of a pale shadow of the series. Not quite as bad a copy as a fax. More like a lower end photo copier. I've always been really big into it'll be good if you find the right people but the movie is all done by the same folks and it's kinda pale. Everyone moved on to other projects and then got back together to do the movie. The show is still pretty amazing. Pick it up on Netflix or swing by and watch it with me some evening. ^_^

No comments: