7/25/2005

Just when you thought you'd learned to live without me

Happy J? Here I am posting. posty post post posting. post a little dream of me... So I did this funny thing lately. I went back to school. I'm enrolled in University of Phoenix right now. I know it doesn't sound like real school because it's only online/ after hours but I really don't care. I'm just in it for the degree. UoP is looked down on less that pretty much all the other online campuses so I figured I'd go for it. Trouble is they have these learning teams. I am beginning to loathe learning teams. Learning teams suck. Honestly, for every class you have two types of assignments, personal assignments and team assignments. You form up teams at the beginning of class based on any number of reasons determined by your class or your instructor. That parts all well and good except when you've never been in a class twice with the same person you pretty much get what you're handed. The thing is I seem to always get the looser team. I'm on my third class and so far every class my team has been the one that has the folks who drop out. I lost 2 the first one, 1 the second and it looks like 2 this one. All teams have been 4 or 5 members. Then I do the final group assignment with a tiny bit of help from one other team member and a completely inconsequential amount of help from another. So far things don't look any better in this course the amount of traffic in the other team’s newsgroup vs. ours is pretty embarrassing. I'm gonna log on again in a few (I've given them an hour or so to get home.) and see if I need to spice things up. I think the idea is to teach you professional development skills. Thing is, I'm not here for professional development skills. I'm in FUCKING COLLEGE. Leave the professional development skills to fucking DeVry who will graduate you with "the skills you need to succeed" or ITT Technical College. Fucking trade schools. I'm not enrolled in UoP because I can't afford school (I can't afford school but my job reimburses a shit ton per year so I did the smart thing and enrolled) I'm going to UoP because I don't have the time. I work in teams all the time at work. I'm good at working in teams, but honestly, when I work in teams my teammates do their fucking work, if they don't their boss finds out or something. This time I'm not pulling any punches. In the last two courses I didn't say anything to the instructor. The first one because while I wrote all the paper, did the PowerPoint presentation and gave the final presentation. I was also not contributing much time wise it's just that I contributed more content and it was all better. Actually my only note on that presentation was that I needed to let them talk more. Hrm... would have been hard since they didn't write any of it. The second one I was all set to email the instructor and let him know that the final paper was 90+% mine until I got to the last class and started talking to one of my team mates. This lady is dumb. I hate to say that about a sweet lady like her but she's pretty down there. I don’t even have the heart to pick on her here. This one, no punches pulled. If they don't chip in I blast them. I've already turned in our first assignment with a note that included the phrase "and since my teammates didn't have any input." I'm not spiteful. I just don't like doing other peoples work. Leaking onto the net -Aaron

No comments: