2/06/2005

Someone Pinch Me

This morning I got out of bed to the sound of my son shouting over and over "I want to poopoo in the pottyah!" I still don't know what a pottyah is but I figured the potty would suffice. So I took him in there, took off his poop free diaper and set him on the potty. and he went poopoo. It was fucking awesome. I have a bit of a headache (as I seem to pretty much every weekend) so I really couldn't jump around and be as excited as I should be to show him how impressed I am but I did my best and I gave him a healthy bribe to repeat the action. of course 1/2 an hour later he asked me to change his diaper because he had a poop the size of a baseball in it. But it's a start. He actually recognized the need, asked for it and waited till he got there. This is such an uphill battle that just this little sign we're on the path is fantastic. Yes I know he's not going to be done with diapers next week. But we're really tired of shit. Really tired. When you drop that turd into the toilette and it splashed up and hits you in the eye. You're sick of handling your childrens shit. you're done, we are done we want it over. Not that it was ever fun but we don't run a daycare this isn't just a part of our lives that's going to be there forever our kids will grow up and we'll be able to stop freeking wiping their butts. But we want it sooner. Obviously the 1 year old is going to take some time. Yesterday was like a dream. He wore "big boy underwear" all day long (except for his nap) and didn't wet himself once. It was fantastic. I have a timer on the fridge set for 24 minutes (because I just felt like being a pain and not setting it for 25 minutes.) Every time it goes off I ask him if he needs to use the potty. If he says no, that's fine I start the timer again. If he says yes I make sure he gets on the potty and then start the timer again when he's done. Some times when the timer goes of it's enough to remind him and I don't have to ask. "Is that a timer?" "Yes." "Is it time to use the potty?" "I don't know do you need to use the potty?" "Yeah, I wanna use the potty." "O.K. then get on over there and pull your pants down and use the potty." In fact it just happened. This very second. The timer went off and he jumped up and shouted "I wanna use the potty" and ran towards the bathrom (We had to move it back there last night. We had some friends over who had kids of their own and they ended up fightin over it. I turned around to see three kids literally tugging at a bowl of urine, it was not good for my heart.) more work ahead but it's going. And the ~20 mins trick from Jen was brilliant.

No comments: