3/28/2005

Voice recognition

Motorola seems to be in possession of what has to be the most exceedingly pathetic voice recognition software ever devised. I mean I've heard people bitch about this stuff being stupid but I've never heard anyone complain nearly enough to give me the idea that they're using the same software I am. I seem to remember something about the crap voice recognition software using patterns of intensity rather than pitch so if you say completely different things exactly the same way it can't distinguish. I can attest to that when things like "Kevin desk" and "Harold desk" get confused. I end up trying to get things recorded and it keeps telling me that is a duplicate phrase that's already recorded, I end up pissed off and swearing at it "CALL FUCKING Sven, FUCKING GODDAMNED Sven!" and that works to now I can't call Sven from work and everyone thinks I must hate "FUCKING GODDAMNED Sven!" But it gets better, so I give up trying to use English and instead record a series of complex whistles to distinguish various numbers I want to reach. It lets me record them all and never tells me there's a duplicate, AHA! Masterful plan has worked until like the fourth time I use it and whistle that little 3 note that played every time someone entered the deck on the enterprise one and the goddamned phone repeats "Kevin desk" and starts dialing my fucking coworker. Assmonkey software. I'm ashamed that someone thought it was o.k. to release it.

No comments: