Squealed like a beauty queen (on the inside.)
I’ve been lamenting the death of my previous iPod for more than a year now, maybe more. The hard drive tanked on me a while back. One day it just stopped booting and would flash the little apple at me repeatedly. So I tried some disk utilities they found some badness, reinitialized with the iPod updater, no good. See it was still showing up on the desktop so it seemed that the hardware was good and my data was still there. So I let it sit for a couple of months. New OSX utilities came out so I tried those, still no good. Then I moved and the company I worked for got purchased so I wasn’t concerned with it for a couple of months there. Then I started thinking maybe it was just some damage in the iPod OS partition that was unrecoverable. So I downloaded and installed podzilla. It doesn’t install all in the same partition so I figured it’d be good. Podzilla is mostly for people who want to upgrade the HDD in your iPod. If you replace the HDD the iPod OS will not copy over. Last time I looked nobody had figured out how to make this go. Cool idea yes.
Only it fucking blows.
So I installed it only to find out that it did not support a couple of things like:
AAC (apple’s new audio format. It’s smaller than MP3 for a better sound quality so I was using that to get more space out of my 15gb)
Variable bit rate MP3s (TONS of mp3s are encoded this way.)
Sleep
SLEEP! A portable player that doesn’t sleep?!?! With traffic that doesn’t even get me all the way to work, there, and home.
Piece of crap.
That’s when I finally gave up.
Needless, I’m pretty durned excited about my new iPod 20gb instead of 15 so a good goose there even though I’ve got about 30g of songs but I think I’ll manage. It just means I’ll have to manually copy things across.

5 comments:
All the data is accessable, it shows up as an external drive it just doesn't run iPod OS. It'll mount it just won't boot. Bastards.
Plus the data is totally redundant in my iTunes library.
I think the drive is totally hozed anyway if I leave it sit around it gets worse and worse and I end up paving i again.
thanks for the offer though. Maybe if a 1.8 drive drops into my lap we'll take a crack at figuring out how they keep you from copying a bootable iPod OS.
See one more reasone to hate the fact that blogger doesn't let you manage your comments. I'd so love to delete that stupid spam post.
That's a start. Now I just want to be able to manage them all from one place.
Just checkin in on your progress.
Congrats on the winning of the iPod. Karma baby. You had it coming. ;)
I have done nothing on this all weekend. I've been busy with school and house. Next weekend will probably be more of the same. I might get some stuff done during the week. Last thing I did was some work on the outlines. I've gotten a lot further than what is published on the site, I'll send you a link to check out when I have something more to contribute.
Post a Comment