8/11/2005

Pain in my Rear

So I'm working on my template right now for MT because when I move to it I refuse to use the ugly assed default template. I've done up a little logo and I've got a basic idea of what I want it to look like. Trouble is now how the hell do I even start. I've started to make progress but basically I'm learning cascading Style Sheets. I hate html.

5 comments:

Agnes said...

ROFL. I love html. How awful is that?
May I assist? And, for the record, this blog-site stuff is much more annoying than just hanging up your own web page. ARGH! The frustration!

Aaron said...

Yeah, no kidding, way harder. It's all this CSS stuff that truly blows me. The template tags are real basic and easy to understand but I've never worked with stylesheets.
Honestly I Loathe html. Scary part, I've been working with these templates I found online trying to get them to go and I am starting to grok CSS. No that's not the scary part. The scary part is that I like it.
There, I said it, I like CSS. I of course heard about stylesheets years ago and recognized that being able to co-ordinate your fonts for body, various headers, etc on a site based level instead of a page based level was a good idea. What I didn’t know until recently was that CSS does much, much more. You can arrange your page using only CSS; I may never use a table again. You can set abbreviations using CSS. I may never type again. All this rocks my ‘fro. All this I learned from the csszengarden project. I’ll do a post on it in the near future and link to it. I’ll probably end up copying the bulk of this comment in there and adding to it.
Shoot me an email; I’d love a little help. I am only just getting my feet wet. I want to give it a go customizing my template mostly on my own but there are a few tricks I do not know how to implement. Then I’ll probably want to do something fancy after that and try and rely on you more heavily for that.

Unknown said...

I have a book on CSS that you are welcome to borrow anytime... just ringy dingy.... :)

Agnes said...

Ok, I took some time and checked out the css site and your sourcecode for greenmonkey. I see the issues (you want to float text over image, you want your text in a smaller box instead of overlapping on the right etc. Easy stuff....if I can figure out the next part)
With what you know about css, do you have the ability to alter the css tags to modify the shape, color, fonts on your site? I'm not seeing that connection just yet. Your html just links to the preset css sheets.
Are you doing this in Frontpage?

No hurry. I'm just having an insomniac moment and couldn't think of anything better to do. :)

Aaron said...

I am totally going to take you up on the css book just for reference. CSS basically replaces tables, frames, font tags and a few other elements. It also adds some new elements and wraps them all up into something you can manage accross your entire site (not just a given page) and store in an offline file.
Basically it rocks my 'fro even though I can't do a whole lot with it now. Changing font/style of text are some of the first exaples you encounter for it. In fact finding info on how to lay things out has been harder for me but I've got it going on. I just have to learn some of the glitches like I was putting data into a cell that was larger than the cell and so it ended up hanging off the side of the window. The cells were lining up so that the RHS of the right hand cell was lined up with the RHS of the browser window but the text was hanging further off to the side. Weird but I figured it out. 'spretty cool.