5/24/2004
The Dragon Has Landed.
Well I finally did it I bought Crouching Tiger. Generally we don't buy any movies. We don't buy much of anything in fact. We have two kids and a tiny little condo a combination which makes the collection of crap unpleasant. We've got netflix and the local video stores for most of what we want. But as my wife puts it I keep "Making this cute little pouty noise" every time I see a copy of crouching tiger for sale somewhere so last night I bought it while we where in costco. I'm so happy. I mean it's US release is in mandarin, It's a fantastic movie, The mandarin is relatively simple, It's Chinese Kung-fu, It's Chinese opera house style action with a real plot and a very enjoyable movie, final bonus is I can watch it IN CHINESE without driving my non-Chinese speaking wife up the wall because she doesn't understand it.
It's almost like watching it for the first time.
I mean my Chinese is crap and I doubt I'd be able to really get it without the English subtitles but I get enough of it to make it a whole new experience. Additionally much of what I understand in mandarin I'd miss just due to the speed at which they talk. I'm better with text. Humans just talk to fast but now that I already know what they're saying due to the subtitles I can get the Mandarin. Even when it's different (usually only slightly different) like when someone responds "do I?" in English but the Mandarin script actually says "Really?" I just might have missed what they where saying since they're talking at real human conversational speed. It's like listening to mandarin with training wheels on. Hopefully it'll help my comprehension go up enough so I can nose in on peoples conversations in the hallway and such. :)
I've watched it twice already in the last twelve hours. Probably watch it again on the way home. Then I start turning off the subtitles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment