1/07/2005
Never thought I'd say it.
Never in my life did I expect I'd utter the phrase "I really like the Missouri Department of Transportation" but I do. I'm so sad I missed this when it happened but my wife and I where just perusing snopes and came across this. That is just cool. I gotta respect those folks. If you don't want to follow the links the summary is simple. Someone in the KKK signed up for a slot in the adopt a highway project. If you don't know adopt a highway is a program where certain organizations take responsibility for cleaning up a stretch of road either by paying the costs or by actually doing the clean up themselves depending on the criteria of the adopt a highway program. In return the adopter gets a little sign that says something to the effect that this stretch of road has been adopted by "organization name" Thus you get a tiny little billboard on the side of the highway without having to pay for a full sized billboard, the state in question doesn't have to use your tax dollars for it and people think you're environmentally conscious.
Well Missouri DPT said no way you racists fuckmonkeys (like you do when the KKK wants something from you.) claiming that under the federal Civil Rights Act, it could refuse the use of federal money to "further or subsidize racial discrimination." but lost when the KKK took it to court as unconstitutional. In response Missouri Legislature voted to name the previously un-named stretch of highway "Rosa Parks Highway."
I love these people. Somewhere in Missouri there was a sign that said something like "The KKK has adopted this stretch of Rosa Parks Highway."
If anyone has a picture of that. I want it.
They never cleaned it up.
Not once.
So they got dumped from the program. The KKK had already announced it's intention to abandon that section of highway and instead had filed it's intent to adopt a new stretch of highway somewhere else.
Guess what?
That stretch is unnamed as well.
Leaking this day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment