7/16/2004
Have you ever read "The Wizard Of OZ"
Not seen the movie it isn't the same thing, actually
read the book. The scarecrow of oz is one of the best books I've ever
read. I need to go get the entire series and read them all. Get to all
the one's I've missed and reread the one's I haven't. You know all of
this hoopdy that is going on over Harry potter? That's OZ several
years back. Baum was a freeking genius. He managed to create a world
that is as fantastic and amazing as a childs imagination and yet as
accessable as the grocery store. Talking about it there are a lot of
paralells between the stories. The main character uprooted from his
mundain world and taken to a world of our wildest dreams is an old old
fantasy that most of us share. I wonder if Rowling will
be able to go as far with it. She certainly started out well. Those
first few books came out like bullets from a gun but lately she's been
loosing steam. What's it been two years?
I'm worried that the movies will screw things up. I mean the writing in
the potter books is by no means high art but there's something about
them that grabs you. There is a raw essense that is undeniable. They're
fantastic, seemingly not because of great literary skill but because
Rowling is deaply in touch with the hidden childish desire in all of
us. Everyone wants to go to Hogwarts and hang out with harry. I'm
concerned that the movies will create an over consumer atmosephere to
them. There's already a problem there since the books are so popular
and her editors are likely breathing down her neck. The opportunity for
greatness is there and it would be a shame if she where to miss it
because we poisoned it.
It's like the great cave paintings at lascaux. A fantastic artifact, a
monument in the history of art but eventually with so many people
walking through them our very breath began to destroy them.
To observe a thing is to change it in some way.
and these changes are not always good.
I think it's not always a coincidence that great artists aren't discovered until after they die.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment