7/22/2004

Lan Yu

I know I've mentioned how good this is but I just started reading BeiJing story. It's going to be slow and going with the dictionary and all but it's good so far. I am once again pleased to have seen something in movie form before reading it. The same thing happened with Naked Lunch. There are things at the very beginning of the novel that are a supprise at the end. In the case of naked lunch it's in the prolog. In the case of Beijing story it's the first paragraph. I won't give away what that is but it's the sorta "twist" ending. It's the part that made me cry. I'm thankful I was off my game when I watched it. I completely shoud have seen that coming. It's chinese and it's gay. See the celluloid closet to understand why the second part has anything to do with the ending. Or don't it makes it sort of cheaper somehow but I think what they say in the closet is true. I'll have to blog about it in like two months so I don't have a reference to Lan Yu and give away the ending to everyone.

No comments: